So, today is the first record-keeping day of my food storage challenge. I made a short video to post on YouTube, and as soon as I figure out how to upload it, I’ll post it here as well.
Just to recap, the rules are:
- Put something into food storage daily for a month.
- Each Friday, calculate the total amount of food prepped for storage.
- At the end of the month (November 2012 for me), calculate the total amount of prepped food for the month.
- For the second month (December 2012 in my case), double the amount of food stored in the first month.
It was a bit of a short week from Monday to Thursday, but here’s what I put away.
- 11 cups Homemade Gluten-Free Mac & Cheese
- 2 quarts Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 quarts Parsnip and Leek Curry Soup
- 1 quart Unstuffed Cabbage
- 2 cups Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 liter Sauerkraut
The sauerkraut is still fermenting on the counter, and the soups are in the fridge waiting to be canned tomorrow, along with some beef stew. I just can’t justify using the pressure canner for only four quart jars.
I will be posting the recipes from the food listed above on Monday.
Hurricane Sandy put a small damper on my food prep plans. I just scored a dehydrator on sale on Amazon with a gift card I’ve had kicking around. However, I didn’t want to start experimenting with it in case the power went out, leaving me with half-dehydrated food in it! Thankfully, we didn’t end up losing power, and we are very grateful for not being severely affected by the hurricane.
Not too bad for just four days, but there will be a lot more next week. This doesn’t include any food from today (Friday), and next week’s totals will include today plus the weekend. Next week will then have an extra three days worth of food prep time than this week.
If you’re inspired to try this food challenge, what kinds of things are your storing? Please leave comments below. I’d love to hear what everyone’s cooking, canning, freezing, drying, etc.
It feels good to be putting something back into food storage again. And now to figure out how to upload a video…